Medication at School
Students requiring prescription medication administration during the school day to be able to attend school and to ensure that prescription medications are safely administered in schools. Protocol encourages collaboration between parents or guardians and the school in this effort.
- Both prescription and nonprescription that will be taken during school hours must be delivered to school by the parent in the original container.
- Written permission from the parent/guardian to the nurse is required for any student taking medication throughout the day.
- Prescription medication such as insulin, inhalers, or Ritalin requires a physician’s authorization.
- Parents should request duplicate bottles from pharmacies - one bottle for home use and the other for school.
- Medications brought in a plastic bag will not be administered.
- Parents must retrieve medication by the last day of school or the medications will be destroyed.