Principal: Blanca Restrepo
Assistant Principal(s): Kathleen Edwards
Family Liaison: Yolanda Valles
School Day: 8:25 am to 2:35 pm
School Uniform: Yes | Uniform Requirements
School Mascot: Berky The Bear
The Berkowitz Elementary School serves students in grades 1 to 4. The school’s approach is based on the understanding that all children are different and the belief that the diversity of learners is something to be celebrated. The faculty and staff at the Berkowitz School work hard to design learning environments that meet the needs of ALL students. The school’s slogan is “Together, We Are Better.” Students are expected to incorporate four core values of behavior: Respect, Responsibility, Empathy, and Determination (RRED). All students at the Berkowitz are required to wear uniforms (PDF), except on optional non-uniform days. Clothing purchased on our school spirit store can be worn any day.
Our Academic Focus and Approach
- Berkowitz Elementary incorporates the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) to recognize students’ differences as a strength.
- Students develop expert learner characteristics, such as purposeful, motivated, resourceful, knowledgeable, strategic, and goal-directed.
- Our special education programs include the elementary Social Communication Program, and academic and other services provided in inclusive classroom settings.
- Comprehensive support services for English Language Learners include daily direct ESL instruction to assist students as they acquire English language skills.
- View our Accelerated Improvement Plan
- View 2022 School Report Card
Art, Music, and Afterschool Programs
- All students in grades 1-4 enjoy art and music classes at least once a week.
- The Berkowitz Elementary School has multiple musical performances a year. Students can also participate in a variety of before school music programs including chorus, percussion, and Berkowitz Spotlight
- Art programs include an annual district art show.
- After school programs vary annually depending on funding.
New This Year
- Click here to read our 2023-24 Home-School Compact
- Join ParentSquare today, our new school-to-home communications platform for families. This platform will be used at all schools (Grades K-12). Join to stay up to date on everything happening in your child's classroom.