Principal: Lisa Lineweaver
Assistant Principal(s): Jody Klein
Family Liaison: Vivian Quiles
Grades: Caminos classes in grades 1-6, plus three English-only 4th grade classes in SY22-23
School Day: 7:55 am to 2:05 pm
School Uniform: Yes | Uniform Requirements
School Mascot: Kelly The Dolphin / Kelly el Delfín
Students and staff at the Kelly School regard themselves as a family, and strive to “be kind, work hard, and get smart!” The Kelly School is unique among Chelsea’s four elementary schools because it is home to the Caminos dual-language program in grades 1 through 6.
Learning a language doesn’t happen overnight -- it is a journey! Appropriately enough, the word camino means “path” or “road.” Kelly School staff and families commit to working together on a long-term learning journey that puts students “on the path to success.”
Students in the Caminos Program study their grade-level content in both English and Spanish every day. With the support of school, families, and community, Caminos students will …
Become truly bilingual and biliterate.
Connect deeply with their family and community’s languages and cultures
Achieve at high levels academically in all content areas, in both languages
Take pride in growing their bilingual brains to benefit their own futures, their families, and their community.
When Caminos students leave the Kelly School, they may continue on the Caminos pathway at the Browne Middle School, so they can stay on track to earn the prestigious Seal of Biliteracy.
Our Academic Focus and Approach
- As a dual-language school, the Kelly addresses the same grade-level content standards as any other Massachusetts school, but uses different curriculum materials, including books originally written in Spanish.
- At the end of each unit, a “bridge lesson” helps students synthesize what they’ve learned, reinforcing key vocabulary and concepts in both languages.
- Since all Kelly School students are language learners, we work daily to develop academic language in both English and Spanish. Students at all grades practice Academically Productive Talk to clarify their thinking, add to each other’s understanding, and create new ideas together.
- Kelly School teachers use a Universal Design for Learning (UDL) approach to help all learners engage with content, show what they know, and become more independent over time.
- We use the Mind-Up and Trails curricula to teach social-emotional skills including the brain’s role in emotions and learning, teaching kids how to manage their own feelings so they stay safe, calm, and ready to learn.
- Our special education programs include a grade 3-4 Learning Center class room, as well as academic and other services provided in inclusive settings.
- Comprehensive support services for English Language Learners include in-class and pull-out services designed to accelerate students’ language acquisition. In addition, all students in Caminos receive in-class support to develop academic language skills in both English and Spanish.
- Expert support from our Spanish and English reading teachers, bilingual Special Educators, Multilingual Language Educators, in-class math and reading tutors, highly qualified classroom teachers, and trained paraprofessionals ensure all students get the attention they need to learn to read, write, and solve problems in every content area, in both languages of instruction.
- Click here for our Accelerated Improvement Plan
- View 2021 School Report Card
Art Music, and After-School Programs
- The Kelly School is known for our visual and musical arts programs! All students in grades 1-6 enjoy art and music classes at least once a week.
- Students’ artwork is frequently displayed around the Kelly School, and selected artwork is featured in the annual Chelsea Public Schools Art Show every spring.
- The Kelly School has multiple musical performances a year, including a Winter Concert, Spring Band Concert, Kelly School Musical, and informal performances at whole-school assemblies.
- Many 5th and 6th grade students deepen their instrumental and vocal skills as part of the Kelly School Band.
- Before- and after-school programs offered by community partner organizations include For Kids Only (on-site), Jordan Boys and Girls Club, The Salvation Army Kids Club of Chelsea, East Boston Social Center, and CAPIC.
New This Year
It’s an exciting moment at the Kelly School, because the Caminos dual-language program has been growing: This year, students in 20 of our 23 classes are now part of Caminos and will learn every day in two languages; next year, the Kelly School will be a fully dual-language school!
Even as the program has been growing, our students are thriving! On the district’s end-of-year iReady reading and math tests, the Kelly School had the district’s highest percentage of students meeting their reading growth goal. Kelly Scholars also performed above the district average in Math, even though most students learned half their math content in English but took the test all in Spanish! Way to go, Kelly Scholars!
We have been adding staff to help every child achieve academic success in two languages. This year, we have three more language teachers who will support academic language in both Spanish and English. We also have new academic support staff and a new school counselor to help kids build their social, emotional skills.