Category: Physical Education, Department Overviews
Length: Full Year
Description: All students should be physically fit as well as academically fit. The Physical Education Department's courses are designed to help students understand the importance of maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle beyond their high school years. Students also have an opportunity to use their problem-solving and team-building skills in the Project Adventure experience, which offers a range of physical and mental challenges and a high ropes course.
The Physical Education Department curriculum is aligned with the current Massachusetts State Curriculum Frameworks.
Massachusetts State Annual Physical Education Requirement
Chapter 71, Section 3 of the Massachusetts General Laws states that 'Physical education (PE) shall be taught as a required subject in all grades for all students in the public schools for the purpose of promoting the physical well-being of such students.' Every Chelsea High School student must meet this requirement during each school year they are enrolled.
There are four ways a student can meet the state requirement:
- By taking a traditional PE class during the school day.
- By participating in a state-approved, school-based program or activity that meets the PE requirement. Some options that meet the requirement include, but are not limited to:
- Joining a Chelsea High School athletic team;
- Joining a Chelsea High School cheerleading squad;
- Taking a dance class offered by the Performing Arts Department;
- Participating in the Stay in Shape program offered at Chelsea High School in partnership with MGH Chelsea; or
- Participating in the before or after school Weight Training courses offered by the PE department.
- By documenting participation in an athletic program or activity outside of school that meets the PE requirement. Some options that meet the requirement include, but are not limited to:
- Joining a team in an organized sports league;
- Current membership in a gym or health club, with regular attendance;
- Taking an organized class in figure skating, martial arts, yoga, Pilates, rock climbing or other athletic activity; and
- Taking ballet or other dance classes or actively participating in an organized dance group or program.
- By documenting a medical condition that excuses the student from participating in PE. Chapter 71 Part 3 states that ''no pupil shall be required to take part in physical education exercises if a licensed physician certifies in writing that in his opinion such physical education exercises would be injurious to the pupil.'
Documenting Participation in Athletic Activity Outside of School
Any parent or legal guardian of a student who wishes to document that their son or daughter participates in an athletic program or activity outside of school that meets the annual Massachusetts Physical Education requirement must do the following:
- Submit a letter to the Chelsea High School Registrar requesting that an activity outside of school be counted towards the student's annual PE requirement;
- Provide documentation of the student's participation in the outside activity, such as a copy of a registration form, a payment receipt, etc; and
- Provide documentation of the number of hours per week that the student participates in the activity.
Any parent or legal guardian of a student who wishes to document that their son or daughter has a medical condition exempting them from the annual Massachusetts Physical Education requirement must do the following:
- Submit a letter to the Chelsea High School Registrar that the student has a physical or medical condition that prevents him or her from participating in an a PE class; and
- Provide documentation from a licensed physician or the MGH Student Health Center of the physical or medical condition to the Chelsea High School nurse's office.
Parents or guardians who have questions about the annual Massachusetts Physical Education requirement should call the Chelsea High School Registrar at 617-466-5004. Parents or guardians who have questions about, or need more information about, medical waivers for PE should call the Chelsea High School nurse's office at 617-466-5210 or the MGH Chelsea Student Health Center at 617-466-5037.